Army Identifies 4th Soldier Killed in NATO Training Incident
Digest more
Top News
Overview
Reactions and opinions
Newsweek |
The bodies of the other soldiers, Jose Duenez Jr., 25, Edvin F. Franco, 25, and Dante D. Taitano, 21, were recovered on Monday after U.S., Polish, and Lithuanian forces, along with other rescue teams...
Yahoo |
Lithuania’s political and religious leaders joined thousands of people on Thursday to bid farewell to four American soldiers who died during a training exercise in the Baltic nation.
The New York Times |
“This loss is simply devastating,” Maj. Gen. Christopher Norrie, the commanding general of the Third Infantry Division, said in a statement.
Read more on News Digest
The soldiers were in a vehicle that became trapped in a bog during a training mission last week. A fourth soldier was still missing.
The U.S. soldiers had been at the center of a recovery mission in Lithuania for nearly a week after their armored vehicle sank near the country's border with Belarus.
NATO walked back its claim that the four United States soldiers missing in Lithuania had died. On Wednesday, NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte announced that four U.S. soldiers who had gone missing during a training exercise in Lithuania had died.
Remains of the fourth US soldier killed during a training exercise in Lithuania last week has been recovered, according to reports. The still unnamed soldier’s body was found near the Pabradė — not far from the Belarus border — after a weeklong operation that combed through thick forest and swampland, NBC News reported.
The fourth and final missing U.S. soldier whose armored vehicle sank in a swamp in Lithuania last week was found deceased Tuesday, military officials say.
Four U.S. soldiers remain missing Wednesday after disappearing during a training in Lithuania near the border with Belarus.
Germany is sending troops to Lithuania for its first permanent foreign deployment since World War II. This move aims to strengthen NATO's eastern flank against potential Russian and Belarusian threats.
Four U.S. soldiers who went missing from a training ground in Lithuania during scheduled tactical training, NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte said Wednesday.