Deaths in Myanmar earthquake pass 3,000
Digest more
Top News
Overview
Event details
“The smell of the dead bodies has overwhelmed the town,” said Ko Zeyar, a social worker, as other residents described the rush to bury bodies in mass graves.
From CNN
Myanmar’s ruling military government has announced a temporary ceasefire in operations against armed opposition groups to aid recovery efforts following Friday’s devastating earthquake.
From CNN
Just before last week's earthquake of magnitude 7.7 that killed almost 2,900 people, the junta chief was readying for a rare foreign visit to a regional summit in Thailand, as aides worked the phones...
From Reuters
Read more on News Digest
BANGKOK (AP) — Search teams pulled more bodies from the ruins of buildings on Friday, a week after a massive earthquake rocked Myanmar killing more than 3,100 people, as the focus turns toward the urgent humanitarian needs in a country that was already devastated by civil war.
Two survivors have been pulled from under the rubble of collapsed buildings in Myanmar, more than five days after the country was struck by a devastating 7.7 magnitude earthquake.
Five friends defied the junta to care for people injured in the military coup. One returned from the battlefield to find his four friends among the dead in the March 28 earthquake.
Temporary hospitals have been erected to treat victims as medical facilities are damaged and overwhelmed following the devastating earthquake in Myanmar.
Myanmar's junta leader attended a regional summit in Bangkok on Friday, a week after a massive earthquake devastated parts of the impoverished war-torn country, killing more than 3,100, and spurring an appeal for help by the United Nations chief.
Explore more
A 63-year-old woman was pulled alive from under the rubble Tuesday about 91 hours after Myanmar was struck by a devastating, 7.7 magnitude earthquake, the Myanmar Fire Services Department said on social media.
Temporary ceasefires announced by warring groups in Myanmar in the wake of last week’s devastating 7.7 magnitude earthquake represent a rare de-escalation of a conflict that since 2021 has taken thousands of lives and uprooted more than 3 million people.
S ince March 28th, when a powerful earthquake shook Myanmar’s central heartlands, the country’s brutal junta has tried to show the world its softer side. Min Aung Hlaing, its leader, has visited survivors in a hospital and asked foreigners to send help.
Myanmar's ruling military junta declared a three-week-long unilateral cease-fire to aid the humanitarian and rebuilding effort five days after a devastating earthquake that killed at least 3,085 people and left the country's second-largest city in ruins.